Catalogue of books, manuscripts, maps and documents in the William Inglis Morse Collection 1926-1931.
Full medium green morocco leather binding; front and back covers out-lined in single gilt fillet with red dot leather inlays at the four corners and centered half way down the vertical gilt fillet and half way across the horizontal gilt fillet ; within the front and back cover borders is a geometric design composed of single gilt fillets with red dot inlays at the points of intersection; green silk head bands; spine has five raised bands creating six compartments, the top and bottom three compartments are decorated with gilt dots and single gilt fillet borders and intersecting diagonal gilt fillets , gilt titling in compartments two and three; front and back cover leather turn ins out-lined in a single gilt rule along the outer edge with two red leather inlay dots in outer corners, inner border of leather turn ins outlined in single blind fillet ; gilt top edge of text and other two edge untrimmed; front and back endpapers in the distinctive Cockerell marbled paper pattern in a combination of green, black and cream inks; “D.C. & SON 1931” blind stamped on lower left corner of back cover turn in.
The geometric cover design is the most striking feature of the binding. The contract between the simplicity of the design elements and the complexity of the intricate geometrical pattern created is both striking and pleasing as perfect balance is achieved. The selection of rich red, green and gold colours adds to the overall appeal of the binding.
Edition limited to 200 copies printed on handmade paper at the Curwen Press, Plaistow, London. Main print run bound in a two tone brown printed book cloth over boards with the title, CATALOGUE: MORSE COLLECTION, on the spine. Unknown number of copies bound in commissioned full leather fine bindings by Douglas Cockerell. Cockerell bindings on the title are currently located in the libraries of Yale University and Dalhousie University and the British Library.